Unexplained bruising on back of legs. Have been treated for allergies. Have sneezes, nose bleeds. Why?

I have unexplained bruising on the back of my legs, one large near calf and back of knee, from knee up to nearly my backside are bruised. I have been having issues with the skin around my eyes & eyes and being treated for allergies and just had blood tests to check allergic to dust,grass or animal. Do not know results as yet. Also have sneezing fits and blood noses out of the blew. This has been going on since about oct. I have only noticed bruising this morning.
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 19 minutes later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

Your question is a good one and I will work on providing you with some good information and recommendations regarding what is going on.

From the information you have submitted it seems like you are experiencing more and more issues with bleeding and bruising over the last few months. there are a couple of considerations which we should discuss at this point and I do think you need to bring this to the attention of your doctor for further testing.

I am concerned that there is some degree of dysfunction of your platelets or that you're platelet count has dropped. sometimes this can occur as an immune process. This basically means that your immune system can sometimes become activated and can decrease your normal level of circulating platelets.

The only way to really check for this would be to have a blood test performed where your doctor can ask the laboratory to evaluate your total platelet count. spontaneous bruising and bleeding is simply not normal and should be evaluated thoroughly.

At this point I advise you to seek the advice of your doctor and XXXXXXX with your physician for a thorough consultation and examination with laboratory testing. This will help you get to the bottom of what has been going on. There has been something going on for at least the past five months according to your history. I believe it is time to discuss this thoroughly with your doctor.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Robert