Unexplained bruising, fatigue, vertigo, body soreness, blurred vision. Blood work shows elevated WBC

Unexplained bruising, constant fatigue, 2+ years of fatigue, vertigo, body/bone soreness, 2+ years of intermittent blurred vision with normal resulting eye exams, recent sore gingiva upon brushing/flossing, areas of pigment loss that has become greatly widespread over the past 2 years, abodomen pain/soreness with no abnormal activity, numbness/tingling in hands/feet/extremities with electric shock sensations up spine. No depression or sadness, generally happy even when in pain ( been dealing so long its daily routine). As of yesterday woke up with the sensation of being kicked in the right side of abdomen. Recent bloodwork is negative for diabetes, lupus, fibromyalgia, celiacs disease with normal vitamin/levels but slightly elevated white cell count with no infection present. Recent CT scan that was clear abdomen. Intermittent steatorrhea, sometimes only mucous present and no stool.
Posted Mon, 17 Sep 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Prasad 5 hours later

I empathize with you. Before I proceed to comment on your condition, I would like to group your symptoms as follows as I am unable to relate all your symptoms to a single clinical entity:

1. Intermittent blurred vision, numbness / tingling in hands / feet / extremities with electric shock sensations up the spine.
2. Constant fatigue, vertigo, body / abdominal pains.
3. Intermittent steatorrhea
4. Unexplained bruising

The first group of symptoms makes me wonder if you are suffering with a condition called "Multiple Sclerosis (MS)". The recurring numbness, visual disturbances with L’hermitte's sign (electric shock sensation through the spine upon flexing the neck are associated features of MS. Getting an MRI scan of brain/spine with ophthalmoscope examination of eye can be useful to confirm this condition. You may work closely with a neurologist to rule out MS and treat it accordingly.

The second group of symptoms can be explained by multiple conditions. However if all the tests are normal, probably this may be related to chronic fatigue syndrome. Remind you, that this is an entity diagnosed by exclusion. Discuss with your doctor.

Intermittent steatorrhea is most likely induced by cholecystectomy. Though it is not concerning, a dietary change is entailed if you have other associated indigestion/altered bowel habits.

Easy bruisability is usually associated with platelet disorder / vitamin deficiency. I am pleased to know blood tests were normal. In the absence of platelet disorder and nutritional deficiency, the easy bruising is unlikely to be a serious concern.

If blood work which revealed elevated white cell counts times with the occurrence of sore gingiva, then the soreness could be related to oral infections. Antiseptic mouth gargles / using soft bristles are most likely the treatment here.

It is pleasing to know you are taking the symptoms positively and you aren't depressed.

Though I have grouped the symptoms in an attempt to relate them to few clinical entity, without a direct clinical examination and reviewing your reports I cannot be taken for granted. Discuss about the aforementioned condition during the next visit with your doctor.

I hope this information is useful and helpful enough to guide you towards treating you. Let me know if you have other queries.

Wish you good health