Unexplained bleeding in forearm, rashes, bleeding knuckles, blood below skin. Immediate medical attention?

My wife has experienced unexplained bleeding in her right forearm. There are small rash-like areas, with one or two quarter size areas of what appears to be blood below the skin. She is 48 yrs. old, 135 lbs. 5'4". We have two cats that she plays with occasionally, and they do scratch her from time to time, but today, blood appeared in her knuckles when she bent her fingers. Should we seek immediate medical attention ?
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 11 minutes later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

I understand you need help explaining your wife's skin condition.

Reading the small rash areas, and the cats as pets, the allergic factor is obvious. But, the bleeding has occurred due to release of histamine, a chemical involved in causing the rash in the first place which causes small capillaries under the skin to rupture.

As she complains of itching, try over the counter benadryl cream.
Keep her away from the cats for a while.
Ask her to keep the rash dry.

Looks like a small Urticaria to me. You would need medical attention if it worsens over couple of days. So keep an eye.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.