Unexpected bleeding and discharge after menstruation. Not on birth control. Chances of pregnancy?

I had my period exactly 2 weeks and 3 days ago. Finished ovulating 3 days ago. Today I had slight bleeding for only an hour, and have had discharge all day like I am ovulating again. I'm 21 and my period has been regular for over 2 years, and I am not on birth control. I did have sex while ovulating but with a condom. Could I be pregnant or could it be something else? Please help and thank you!
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Radhika 15 minutes later

You had your periods 2 weeks ago and ovulation was around 3 days ago. I understand the unexpected bleeding and discharge now is concerning. I shall try providing your with some information that should be helpful to you.

1. Condom protects 90% of pregnancies.
2. Even if there was a chance of condom failure, generally it takes 8 to 10 days after ovulation for implantation bleeding to occur. So as you might be thinking of possible pregnancy, the signs are too early.

Implantation bleeding that follows ovulation is usually seen 1 week after ovulation following an act of unprotected intercourse. So the chance of you being pregnant is extremely rare.

Regarding what it could be?
1. Mid ovulation bleeding can also be seen due to the level of estrogens rise, and this sometimes prompts the uterus to shed a bit of lining, which shows up in the form of spotting.
2. These could be a hormonal imbalance which usually is harmless. It would settle down.
3. It might be an early period which sometimes occurs in women due to multiple factors.

You may get ‘urine pregnancy test’ done a week after your expected date of period. This will clear your mind beyond doubts i after your expected date of periods.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if I have missed out on any concerns.
Do accept the answer if you have no other queries.

Follow-up: Unexpected bleeding and discharge after menstruation. Not on birth control. Chances of pregnancy? 1 hour later
Okay, I forgot to mention that when I had sex a few times during ovulation, it would always start for a few minutes without a condom. I read that implantation bleeding could happen anywhere from 3 to 10 days after conception, (not that I'm trying to say you are wrong. Just been researching a lot. The people that wrote most of the stuff I read are probably not even doctors.) Also, I started a new diet a week ago. Maybe that could cause this? The discharge concerns me a lot because this has never happened to me before.
One more thing, I don't think its an early period, because it only lasted an hour, if that. And I have yet to see more blood. But still the clear discharge is steady coming.
Should I call and try to get in the doc's office tomorrow?
I apologize for all of the questions.
Answered by Dr. Radhika 1 hour later

Thanks for the follow up.

Women are fertile during ovulation. I understand your concern. Reports on different websites do mention that pre seminal fluid secreted before ejaculation can cause pregnancy. However the possibilities are rare. Since you were protected during part of intercourse, unless there was condom failure or accidental spillage of seminal secretions, chances of pregnancy are rare.
Further implantation bleeding are usually noticed 8 to 10 days after ovulation.

Hence based on your description, the chances that this is implantation induced bleeding is unlikely.

The amount of clear vaginal discharge is related to the day of menstrual cycle or due to some hormone disturbances. If the discharge is clear, not yellowish / greenish and there are no associated symptoms it is usually not a serious pathology and should settle down in a few days.

Dietary changes may not be related to the current condition, though physical and other stressors could be contributing. If you had taken any pills recently, they need to be reviewed.

The bottom line is

1.     The symptoms that you report are unlikely to be due to pregnancy. Do get the pregnancy test done to alleviate if you are anxious. It is best to perform the pregnancy test after a week after the expected date of next period.

2.     The current discharge, I presume is clear could probably be related to hormone changes and not a serious pathology. It should settle down. If you find some color changes, foul smell or any other associated symptom, you need to review with your gynecologist.