Underwent vaginal hysterectomy. Treated with antibiotic injections for infection. Test to conform infection?

Mar 2013
During August 2012, I underwent vaginal hysterectomy. After surgery, probably because of vault hematoma, infection developed.On the sixth day of operation I was moved to some super specialty hospital.There CT scan indicated fuss and laparoscopic evaluation and drainage was done .Culture test indicated "e-colli".I was discharged on 5th day and treated with antibiotic injections for a week. After two months during follow up check (no apparent symptoms) initially suspected granulation and treated with copper nitrate, then admitted in the hospital for EUA and informed some small hitch was also removed. Now I dont have any problem(no spotting/discharge). is there any simple test with which i can rule out any infection as I am traumatic to visit hospital again
Posted Fri, 22 Feb 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 24 minutes later
Thanks for trusting us with your health query.

As you already had two episodes of infection related complications, understandably you are worried about it.

However, it is very rare, in the absence of symptoms , to actually have bad infection of the vaginal vault . You would experience vaginal discharge, itching, fever etc.

Without visiting a hospital, it is extremely difficult for you to diagnose a vault infection / collection by yourself.

You need confirmation by a gynecologist.

One simple non invasive test is to have a transvaginal ultrasound ( pelvic scan ) / pelvic imaging in the form of CT/MRI to diagnose collection/fluid/pus/hematoma in the vaginal vault which leads to infection. However, getting it done after consultation with your treating doctor is a better idea.

I understand that you have been unfortunate in having two bad experiences after your surgery, but these complications are rare, and almost 6 months after the surgery, I do not think these would recur.

Just as after any other kind of surgery, it is advisable to have regular follow up with your gynecologist for check ups/ treatment modifications.

Keep your blood sugar levels in control, have a healthy diet and an active and fit lifestyle.

Please take care, wish you all the best, and feel free to ask for further clarifications.