Underwent oxandrolone treatment. Any possibility of creation of new cells as a result of treatment?

Excellent

Infertility Specialist
Question
Hi . I underwent oxandrolone treatment when I was 14. I am concerned that any possible creation of new cells as result of the treatment, still exist today in penile tissue, testis, skeletal muscles etc. Please advise
Posted Wed, 13 Nov 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
More details

Detailed Answer:

I would like to know the reason for taking oxandrolone.I would like to know how long you were on medication and what was the dosage. What was the exact diagnosis for which it was prescribed. These details will help me in answering you further.

Dr. Mahesh Koregol

Follow-up: Underwent oxandrolone treatment. Any possibility of creation of new cells as a result of treatment? 47 minutes later
Hi it was for boosting height only. The dose 2.5mg daily for 3 months.

So it wasnt for sexual development reasons, just for height. However in case it affected sexual organ cells (creation of new ones) would these same cells be still around, or, dead by now?

Thanks and Regards

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Dont worry

Detailed Answer:
Hi, the dose and duration of drug is very small and it wouldn't have caused any effect. Hence there is no need to worry. There is ni possibility of those cells being in body now. No side effect also. Just relax. Regards, Dr. Mahesh Koregol

Follow-up: Underwent oxandrolone treatment. Any possibility of creation of new cells as a result of treatment? 17 hours later
Hi. What if it had effect on skeletal muscle cells....as these cells are non renewable?

But you state no possibility of cells being in body now?

Thanks and Regards

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Relax

Detailed Answer:

These cells are also renewable. The effect of drug is not much as you took small dose for a small time. Even if there was effect, it would have got abolished by now as generations of new cells would have grown and replaced by newer cells. Its a continuous process.
There is no possibility of any effect remaining in body now.

Follow-up: Underwent oxandrolone treatment. Any possibility of creation of new cells as a result of treatment? 2 hours later
Thank you.

One final question.

I understand dna experiences many reactions eg when producing a protein. Therefore does the chemical composition change temporarily...as any reaction involves give & take electrons etc?

I would like to know if dna, during many chemical processes its involved in, has its chemical composition altered ? NOT ITS CODING BUT ITS NO OF ELECTRONS ETC.

Hope you can help. Wishing you all the best

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No

Detailed Answer:
Hi, DNA processing involves proteins. It does not require electrons. Only biological proteins are involved. No incorporating electrons and hence changes due to them.

Follow-up: Underwent oxandrolone treatment. Any possibility of creation of new cells as a result of treatment? 5 hours later
I see . What about changes in the dna site where the protein is being produced?

Is there any reaction involving dna that decreases the number of some atom/element within the dna?

Or even if increase?

I appreciate your advice. Thanks and Regards

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
mutations

Detailed Answer:
Hi, the proteins coded are genetically predetermined and work perfectly like a programmed computer. By chance if there is change in proteins as you described, it will lead to mutations and abnormal function. Regards

Follow-up: Underwent oxandrolone treatment. Any possibility of creation of new cells as a result of treatment? 13 hours later
XXXXXXX what about energy required by dna to make the proteins...does this not involve reaction with dna?

secondly, suppose there was androgenic effect from my oxandrolone, this would possibly mean slight growth of penile tissue and testis. Would this effect be as result of increase in cells?

In any case, whats the rate of testis and penile tissue cells turn over/replacement?

Many thanks and Best Regards

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
tissue cycle

Detailed Answer:
Hi, DNA formation needs in form of small amounts of glucose which are utilized in reprogrammed sequence and amount. It leaves metabolic products which are excreted from body. Secondly, the cells in the body part you mentioned change once in 3 to 4 months through a procedure called apoptosis where each cell dies a reprogrammed death and new cell kicks in. The duration of replacement also varies. The dose you took is small and for short time. Hence, it wont affect all these processes. Regards

Follow-up: Underwent oxandrolone treatment. Any possibility of creation of new cells as a result of treatment? 12 hours later
Hi Dr Koregal , what makes me unhappy is I have cells in me facilitated and formed by external factors. Especially if they are non renewable or slow renewing cells such as heart and skeletal muscle.

If material composition in these cells change , then this would make me happy. But unfortunately Dna never changes...so as long as cell remains we can say external steroid have left a lasting impact...in the form of unchangeable Dna molecule

Brief Answer:
No impact

Detailed Answer:

You are right. I appreciate your quest for knowledge. Let me assure you that your cells have not been really facilitated or formed by external factors. The medicine you took cannot really change anything and your body cells are normal.

I dont think these steroids have made any impact. Be relaxed

Follow-up: Underwent oxandrolone treatment. Any possibility of creation of new cells as a result of treatment? 19 hours later
I know its unlikely to have impact. But I want to assume, just in case. What if it had cell dividing impact on non renewable cells such as heart?

I would feel unhappy about that because the hormone came from outside , and not naturally made from inside

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Relax

Detailed Answer:

You are trying find a problem which has no possibility of existence. Even on hypothetical basis, if it has affected your heart muscle, you can get an ECG. It can pick up enlargement of ventricular muscle which can occur due to chronic high dose steroid use.

Now there is no possibility of that happening. Therefore there is no need to worry and subject your self to stress.

Dr. Mahesh Koregol

Follow-up: Underwent oxandrolone treatment. Any possibility of creation of new cells as a result of treatment? 7 hours later
Dear Dr Koregal.

Thanks for the advice.

My logic is as follows. If steroids have ability to increase cell numbers, then this means it has increased DNA numbers ( one for each new cell )

So in cells that are non renewable , the DNA will be present and only way there can be change with it is if it dies.

This is what making me unhappy. AN OUTSIDE HORMONE HAS CONTRIBUTED TO SOMETHING THAT POSSIBLY STILL EXISTS TODAY

Brief Answer:
no effect

Detailed Answer:
Hi, non renewable cells like cardiac cells wont get expanded so soon as compared to other muscles. It wont affect at all your ingested dose. There is absolutely no need to think about external factors affecting your heart. Regards,