Underwent cervical spine surgeries, had shoulder surgery, have severe PVC's. Beta blocker has side effects. What can I do?

Hi, I am a 52 yr old active female. I have underwent 2 cervical spine surgeries. C4-5, C5-6. The neurosurgeon used BMP. About 1 year later I had shoulder surgery on my right shoulder due to a bone spur. They say I also need a left shoulder surgery. I also have C5 perma nerve root damage, a huge disc bulge at C6-7. Now, I have severe PVC's...if that's what I have. I wake up with them...I go to bed with them and they are affecting my life. My doctor says there are no treatments for this. I could take a beta-blocker but the side-effects could be worse. I notice when they are bad it is hard to breathe and I feel as if I have a tourniquet around my neck. My gums, teeth and sinus throb...and it feels as if my head is going to pop off. I do feel weak everywhere. Cough with SOB. Heart disease runs in my family...thru testings, nothing structurally is wrong with the heart. I can't live like this though..don't know what to do...or what it could be? Gall bladder was removed about 1 year ago.
Posted Sun, 15 Jul 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 1 hour later

Thanks for writing in.
I am a medical specialist with an additional degree in cardiology.
I read your mail with diligence.
Undoubtedly, you have cervical spondilytis for which you are taking treatment. Question is what type of heart disease you have? Premature Ventricular Contractions ( PVCs) with normal function and structure of heart, as determined by echocardiography do not need treatment. Only exception is these PVCs are due to coronary artery disease, then revascularization is needed. You are 52 year, presence of Coronary Heart Disease would depend to a large extent on risk factors which you might have. I have listed the risk factors and starred those which you have and +/- are those about which I do not know and your doctor can help you in completing the list.
Diabetes +/-
Stress* in fact high BP that is hypertension is stress in action.
Obesity and Sedentary Life Style+/-
High Bad Cholesterol and Lipid Component +/-
Total Cholesterol above 190 mg%, LDL above 130 mg%, VLDL above 40 mg%,
Triglycerides above 150 mg%, Apolipoprotein B above reference value
Low Good Cholesterol and Lipid Component: +/-
Apolipoprotein a below reference range for the lab and
HDL below 40 mg% for man & and 50 mg% for woman
Family History 0f Coronary Heart Disease +/-
Increasing age*
Being a Man (as opposed to women) till the age 45*

From the list, above you have some risk factors. Therefore, I will strongly recommend consulting your doctor; he will examine you thoroughly, complete the list as well do the EKG and TMT which will tell us whether these are due to exercise induced which can be treated appropriately. She may require coronary angiography and if a disease is found that will be taken as a cause of PVCs and treated with revascularization.

Hope you found something useful in this answer. If you have any follow-up query I shall be happy to answer.

Dr Anil Grover, Cardiologist
M.B.;B.S, M.D. (Internal Medicine) D.M.(Cardiology)
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW