Underwent back operation and having hip pain. How to get rid of pain?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I recently(9-5-13) had an operation on my back at vertebra 3,4 and 5 the MRI showed…... a narrowing of the canal caring the nerve. staenosis (sp)….. While in the hospital after the operation my hip bone started to bothering me. I 've had 16 sessions of PT. After the PT I had a office visit at the operating doctor office and mention that the pain for the staenosis was gone but now have a serious pain at the hip. Xray showed nothing. Since then The pain at the hip is as intense as the back pain i had be fore the surgery. My pain radiates 1# Gluteal anoneurons over the Glute Medius XXXXXXX and Tensor Fasiae Latae muscle. Should I have another MRI to see if the Hip bone area has deteriorated or is there a injection I can be given to elemented the pain…. Sometime i can just walk around… XXXXXXX XXXX
Posted Thu, 28 Nov 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 2 hours later
Brief Answer: You need to do MRI hip and may be spine again Detailed Answer: Hello, I have studied your case. As per your history there can be possibility of hip arthritis which can be degenerative or due to avascular necrosis of femoral head [AVN]. I will advise you do MRI of hip and you can consult with your doctor. Another possibility of spinal nerve root compression which can be confirmed by MRI spine. Till time take analgesic and cartilage protecting medication like glucosamine sulphate. For hip arthritis joint flexion, extension and rotation exercises will help. Physiotherapist will help you better to learn more exercises in proper protocol. If required intra-articular injection can be given but do MRI hip before it. Diet XXXXXXX in calcium and protein will help Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Take care.