Underwent a surgical sperm collection. Tested for FSH and testtosteron. Planning for IVF. Possibility of conceiving?

Infertility Specialist
Question
My hubby is 30 years old and underwent a surgical sperm collecton in March. Unfortuntely they only found one sperm. In early March his FSH level was 23, LH 9.6 and testosterone 10.5, sex hormone binding gobin 35. He also recently had a test for Y chromosone deletion and was told that he does not have this so were puzzled. Is there anything he can do to improve his chances now we know its not genetic, maybe supplements? We will be doing IVF in September. Since March he is exercising 3/4 times a week, taking multi-vitimins (wellman), black seed, algae and Zinc tablets. He has a brother and sister. His sister is pregnant and his brother has two children.
Posted Sun, 19 Aug 2012 in Infertility Problem

Answered by Dr. Nandita Thakkar 11 hours later

From your query - the blood values FSH (Follicle Stimulating Hormone) and testosterone suggest that your husband's sperm production is on the lower side. The surgical method showed only one sperm.
Y chromosome deletion is seen in a higher percentage of cases who present with sub fertility and low or absent sperm count.

As there was sperm seen on biopsy, the supplements can be tried and is helpful in about 40 to 50% of the men. It is better to review him regularly with the treating doctor.

hope to have answered your query. I will be happy to answer any other follow up query

Wish you all the best.
Dr Nandita Thakkar

Follow-up: Underwent a surgical sperm collection. Tested for FSH and testtosteron. Planning for IVF. Possibility of conceiving? 5 hours later
How can he improve his chances? What other supplements can you suggest or alternative methods/medicine other than exercising, no smoking, no drinking etc etc? have you heard of this type of case before? What were they taking? can you refer us to similar cases.

We have another surgical sperm collection in September.

Answered by Dr. Nandita Thakkar 41 minutes later
Hello again,
Thanks for writing back.

Your husband would benefit from the following supplements. They need to be taken for 3 months and the situation can be reviewed after that:
a. Antioxidants
b. Amino acids
c. l-Carnitine - plays a major role in sperm formation and development
d. Minerals - such as zinc an selenium help promote sperm motility and concentration.
e. Antioxidant - such as vitamins like C and E, and some natural agents like Grape seed extract - reduce the release for free radicals and help sperm formation
Please speak with your physician for a prescription.

Hope to have answered your query

Wish you all the best
Dr Nandita Thakkar

Follow-up: Underwent a surgical sperm collection. Tested for FSH and testtosteron. Planning for IVF. Possibility of conceiving? 8 hours later
Can I have a suggested dosage of the supplements recommended and similar case studies I can look at for research purposes.

Also how can he improve his testosterone

Answered by Dr. Nandita Thakkar 12 hours later

I will be able to give you some data and the rest you can get on the internet for your research basis.

Some of the suggested doses are:

amino acid - L-arginine - suggested dose is 4g per day
1,000mcg of vitamin C per day
800IU of vitamin E per day
5mg folic acid per day
15mg zinc per day
200mcg selenium per day
1,000mcg vitamin-B12 per day
30 mg of Coenzyme Q per day

Once the sperm production increases, the testosterone levels also start increasing.

Hope to have answered your query.

Dr Nandita Thakkar