Underwent Hysterography and TB Virus was found. What precautions to take? Go ahead with IVF procedure?

Infertility Specialist
I recenty underwent Hysterography and the TB Virus was found. I want to know what precautions need to be taken. Also can I go ahead with the IVF Procedure ?
Posted Sat, 16 Jun 2012 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Nandita Thakkar 3 hours later

As you have been diagnosed with Tuberculosis (TB) - if there is active infection please undergo the treatment first for this and then plan the treatment for infertility.

Tuberculosis by itself commonly causes infertility. Treatment of underlying TB is also one of the important treatments in the management of infertility. Therefore, it is very important and necessary to get treated for tuberculosis first and then go ahead with the other treatments for infertility.

There are drugs suggested for Tuberculosis and your consultant will help you with the same.
Please do write back in case you have follow up queries.

All the best.

Dr Nandita Thakkar
Follow-up: Underwent Hysterography and TB Virus was found. What precautions to take? Go ahead with IVF procedure? 2 days later
I am taking the following medications right now :
1. Akt-4
2. B-Long
3. Happi-D
4. Urosil-SR
5. Folsafe-5mg
6. Globac-XT

I am now being given Foligraf -300 IU for 5 days.

The Hysteroscopic Findings are as under :

1. ECC Normal
2. Uterine Cavity XXXXXXX
3. Healthy Endometrium
4. B/L Ostia Seen/Clear
5. No Fibroid/Polyp Seen

The Immunobiology Report reads :
1. Specimen Source - Endometrium Tissue
2. Mycobacterial DNA PCR - Detected
3. Genus - Mycobacteritum
4. Species - Mycobacterium TB Complex

In the light of the above information, please review this question. My husband has a low sperm count due to which we have been advised IVF-ICSI.
Answered by Dr. Nandita Thakkar 45 minutes later
Hello and thank you again

The drug regimen suggested to you is fine. Please continue as advised.

Though the endometrium is normal as you have a mycobacterial positive DNA PCR it is advisable to treat this infection first. The success of IVF and chances of fertility are influenced by the success of tuberculosis treatment.

I understand your decision to consider intracytoplasmic sperm injections (ICSI). If the sperm count is low and has poor motility / morphology, yes, ICSI would be needed; but at a later stage. The current priority is to treat tuberculosis infection and then consider treatment of infertility.

Hope this clarifies your doubt. Let me know if you need any more help.
Do not forget to close this discussion if all your queries are addressed.

Wish you all the best

Dr. Nandita thakkar