Underwent HIV test, positive and negative band patterns. Is it partially infected HIV infection?

Hi Doctor.

Today i undergone HIV confirmation Test( western Blott).

(pls find test result in PDF file format.)

I got result as Negative for HIV I & II, what does it mean? i also got 2 positive for Band patterns and 2 negative for band patterns, is it that am partially infected or is it curable? or will my infection of HIV will pick up in next 3 months? please tell me risk am carrying. once you reply i will send you scanned copy of Result

please help me doctor, already i have intercourse with my wife 2 times after my single exposure with person whom i suspect as HIV infected. will my wife also will get?
Posted Thu, 31 May 2012 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 2 hours later
Hi Dear,

Thanks for putting up your query.

I can understand your concern and your worried state of mind.
Firstly I want to assure you that you DO NOT have HIV and you have got NEGATIVE report of HIV.

Western blot is highly specific and accurate test for HIV and NEGATIVE report suggests ZERO chance of HIV infection.

As you are negative for HIV there is no chance of your wife getting it.

It would be better if you can answer the following questions as it will be helpful

I hope you have undergone ELISA or Rapid test for HIV.
Can you tell me its report?

-What is the time duration between sexual the exposure you had with other person and this test ?
-Was the exposure protected?(did you use condom)

-Answer the following I would be in a better position to advise you.

In the end I again want to reassure you that you don’t have HIV and you should not be worried.

Awaiting your reply.
Dr Sudarshan
Follow-up: Underwent HIV test, positive and negative band patterns. Is it partially infected HIV infection? 15 hours later
hello Doctor,

I directly Under gone Confirmation test. i dint undergone ELISA Test.

why doctor do i have to undergo ELISA test? is this result sufficient?

I had Sexual exposure unprotected in last week of March 2012( i think around 27th or 28th 2012). so its 1 month 15 days since i had single Sexual exposure unprotected and test date.

doctor is there any chance i get infection of HIV after 3 months? some they say that after 6 month also it may come. please suggest me doctor
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 1 hour later
Hi again dear,

Usual sequence is to test ELISA first and if it comes positive then Western blot is done.

However as you have NEGATIVE western blot you don’t have infection as if now.

But in HIV there is a period of time (called the "window period") between HIV infection and the appearance of anti-HIV antibodies that can be measured.

If a person might have acute or primary HIV infection, and is in the "window period," a negative HIV ELISA and Western blot will not rule out HIV infection.

More tests for HIV will need to be done.

So you will have to undergo ELISA test after completing 3 months of exposure i.e. one and half month after now.

There is a small chance of HIV after 3 month and 6 months after exposure.

So my advice to you would be to undergo ELISA after 3 and 6 months to completely rule out risk of HIV.
Till then use condoms while having intercourse with your wife.

Hope this helps you.
Dr Sudarshan
Follow-up: Underwent HIV test, positive and negative band patterns. Is it partially infected HIV infection? 1 hour later
Hello Doctor,

Will ELISA test is sufficient to confirm HIV infection after 3 months from exposure?

whats the chance of HIV after 3 months? , considering Now my result HIV negative

what if ELISA comes positive after 1.5 months from Now? is there any medicene to cure or suppress HIV virus in initial stage? in case if a person gets HIV positive, How long he can live healthy? now am 41. will i live at least 25 years if taken medicine? i have family kids, pls guide me.

are HIV treating medicine are costly, can a normal man buy?

pls reply sir.

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 1 hour later

ELISA tests are sufficient for diagnosis of HIV.

As you are negative now there is very small chance of HIV positivity after three months.
Usually test becomes positive in 3-4 weeks of exposure.

Anti retroviral drugs can suppress HIV virus if started very early i.e. within 72 hours of exposure known as Post Exposure prophylaxis. Unfortunately that period has passed in your case.
Highly active Anti retroviral therapy is available now in all major Government hospital, free of cost. With good compliance to treatment, HIV positive patients can live for up to 15 years or more.

Please do not panic. There is very less chance of you to become HIV positive.
Please be careful in future and avoid unprotected sexual exposure.

Dr Sudarshan