Underwent ELISA test for HIV 1 and 2. Does the value indicate non reactive?

Hi Doctor, I am a 24 Year Male and underwent ELISA test for HIV 1 & 2 recently. The report showed the value as 0.32. There were three sets of values given in the same sheet saying that that [<0.7 - NonReactive, 0.8-0.9 - Equivocal, > 1.0 - Reactive] Do these 3 values refer the standard values to check my result (0.32) against or does these values say that my blood was non-reactive for < 0.7, and was reactive for > 1.0??? Also, since my value says that its 0.32, do I have any future risk? Or Should the value read 0? What does that 0.32 indicate?
Posted Mon, 13 May 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Sunil 4 hours later

Your ELISA test values 0.32 is non-reactive (negative) and you need not to worry about it.

Values 1.0 - Reactive are reference values to compare your actual values. When values are more than 0.8 or even more than 1.0 (reactive/positive) then further evaluation by western bolt is indicated.

It is not necessary that a normal person should be having value 0, in fact it reads below 0.8 in normal persons and are thought to be negative for HIV. You are not at risk so far and need not worry about it.

If you have had unprotected sex in recent past then you may like to repeat your test after a month. If it is still negative (non-reactive) then it is conclusive, however, false negative and false positive possibilities should be kept in mind.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further question I will be happy to help.

Dr Sunil