Underweight, normal periods. How to improve this?

My Self XXXXXX, My Wife is underweight, her weigth is 39kg, height 5 ft 2 inch and age is 25,He is look very slim , she wants to gain some weight to look good. His Periods are normal ( 6 days in month & regular ), Medical tests reports are attached
Posted Wed, 15 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Satyadeo Choubey 58 minutes later

Thanks for visiting XXXXXXX

Your wife seems to be severely underweight with BMI of 15.2. It's good that she is maintaining her periods at this low BMI (Body mass index). The commonest cause is severe calorie restriction especially in women who want to be slim, a condition medically termed as anorexia nervosa. Other condition can be diabetes, thyroid disorders, cancers, digestive problem or chronic infection like tuberculosis which is fairly common in India.

I went through the reports and she is non-diabetic and rests of the reports are normal except for Low vit. D level. And here I feel that going for TSH level is better than free thyroxine to document subclinical thyroid disease.

I would like to know if she has documented weight loss recently or has got any symptoms like chronic cough, night sweats and evening rise of temperature, abdominal pain etc or any digestive problems.
Increasing dietary calorie intake of at least 200 cal with light muscle building exercise will help. Adding 500 calorie daily increases the weight by 1 pound per week. Take energy dense food and avoid junk foods. Also since vit. D level is low adding vit. D supplements like cholecalciferol 0000 units once a week for 2-3 months will work.

To conclude increase caloric intake along with vit. D supplements (better get a diet plan from nutritionist), go for TSH testing, confirm whether above said symptoms are present or not.

Best wishes,

Follow-up: Underweight, normal periods. How to improve this? 40 minutes later
Dear Sir,
She has no Symptoms, and her body is underweight since childhood, her TSH test is normal. Also what are the reason if all test are normal, Plz suggest how can she overcome this problem
Answered by Dr. Satyadeo Choubey 27 minutes later

Thanks for follow up.

In your wife's case, as all the tests are normal, I think dietary supplementation of at least 200 calories with gradual increment and vit. D as advised before along with light muscle building exercise will be sufficient. So ask a dietitian to build a proper diet chart and a physical trainer to assist her in exercises. This doesn't seems to be a serious problem.

Continue this till her weight is 49-50 kg to come in normal range of BMI (Body mass index).

Best wishes