Underweight, lack of appetite. Advice on weight gain

i am a thin guy(28 waist, 45 weight, 5 feet 7 inches high) at 22 age and want to gain some weight.
i am vegetarian and i cant eat a lot like other people.
Also my metabolism is not good enough, whatever i eat is not applied to my muscles.
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Weight & Lifestyle
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 43 minutes later

Thanks for the query

Body Mass Index (BMI) is an international acclaimed way of measuring body mass and categorizing them into either under weight, ideal or over weight. Your current BMI is 17 which is under weight. And for you to become ideal weight you need to around 60kg which is 15 kg more than what you are right now.

To gain weight in a systematic manner, please follow these steps:

1. Have diet XXXXXXX in proteins rather than fat. Since you are a vegetarian you can have food like soya bean, rajma, chole and peanuts regularly.
2. Drink plenty of milk and curd.
3. Your food should contain minimum of 2400 calories. A dietician can help in optimizing your calorie intake.
4. Multi vitamin tablets available over the counter will help build your immune system
5. Keep in mind that to gain 1 kg, you will have to consume extra 1,200 calories more than the daily requirement of 1,800 to 2,200 calories
6. If you are one who goes to gym then avoid long hour’s cardio exercises. Restrict it to not more than 10 min.
7. Avoid supplements; as they cause harm more than gain.

Hope I have given you ample tips to gain weight. If you are satisfied with my answer please click accept button. I will be happy to help you further if you have any doubts.

Have a good day.
Follow-up: Underweight, lack of appetite. Advice on weight gain 59 minutes later
the major problem is i can't eat a lot because of metabolism problem.
if i eat more its not digested properly and sometimes even loose motions.
Also can you list more of protein XXXXXXX food.
And what is multi vitamin listed on point 4

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 7 hours later
Thanks for reverting

What I would recommend in your case, is to have frequent XXXXXXX meals. This way you will not feel you have eaten a lot.

The protein XXXXXXX vegetarian food products are Paneer, tofu, cheese, black dal, yellow dal, urad dal, sprouts, milk and milk products, pumpkin and it's leaves.

Multi vitamin which are available over the counter are becosules ( most popular), revital, syp. Betonin ( most applicable to you because this improves appetite as well), justovit, etc.

I hope I have answered all your queries, please accept my answer if I have no follow up queries.