Undergone widal test. What are the findings in the report?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2013
Feb 2013

Pediatrician
Question
HI Doctor I gone through widal test my reports are like this
S TYPHI O: 1:320
S TYpHI H : 1:40
S PARA TYPHI AH: 1:20
S PARA TYPHI BH :1:20

is it serious pls give me reply
Posted Thu, 25 Apr 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 16 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

Your widal test is strongly positive.

This suggest that you are suffering from Typhoid fever.

This widal test indicates positive or negative and it doesn't suggest the seriousness.

Typhoid fever is caused by salmonella which is a bacteria.

Antibiotics are required to treat this infection.

With appropriate antibiotics and with proper rest and hydration, the infection can be treated effectively without serious complications.

So consult your doctor for the prescription of the antibiotics appropriate for the Typhoid fever.

And I advise you to:

1. Take proper rest.

2. Take plenty of oral fluids to maintain hydration.

3. Eat home made soft diet; and avoid fried, junk, oily, and outside food.

4. Continue the prescribed antibiotic and medication as advised by your doctor.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.

Wish you a speedy recovery from the illness.

Regards.

Follow-up: Undergone widal test. What are the findings in the report? 3 minutes later
HI doctor my test shows

S TYPHI O: 1:320 positive

S TYpHI H : 1:40 negative

S PARA TYPHI AH: 1:20 negative

S PARA TYPHI BH :1:20 negative

and impression is weekly postive
is it something serious or can be recoverable easily

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 7 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thank you for getting back.

The test is positive.

It is not serious and this infection can be treated effectively with the antibiotics.

Recovery will be easy if antibiotics started early with following the precautions of taking soft diet and maintaining hydration.

But recovery may take 1 to 2 weeks.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please feel free to consult me.

Regards.

Follow-up: Undergone widal test. What are the findings in the report? 4 days later
Hello doctor thanks for your reply,
I have some doubts pls go through below...

at starting when I gone throuth widal test report is

S TYPHI O: 1:80 positive

S TYpHI H : 1:40 negative

S PARA TYPHI AH: 1:20 negative

S PARA TYPHI BH :1:20 negative

After using medication for 3 days I did widal test again report is

below S TYPHI O: 1:320 positive

S TYpHI H : 1:40

S PARA TYPHI AH: 1:20 negative

S PARA TYPHI BH :1:20 negative

Again I used medication for 5 days and did widal test report is

S TYPHI O: 1:160 positive (decresed when compared with previous)

S TYpHI H : 1:160 positive (increased compared with previous)

S PARA TYPHI AH: 1:20 negative

S PARA TYPHI BH :1:20 negative

But iam not getting the fever it is below 99 But iam not feeling hungry or nt at all interested in eating

Why changes in report like this .. how many days this infection will be in body..How many days it will take to go infection completely will it exist in body for months? again I need to go for widal test ?

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 2 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thank you for getting back.

Happy to hear you are recovering as fever is subsiding.

The raise in titers is a more specific than a singles widal test.

Two widal tests with an interval of 3 days showing increased titer is more specific in the diagnosis of Typhoid fever.

The raise and decrease in the titers occur in the process of infection due to the variations in the level of antibodies.

Once antibiotics are started symptoms will get cleared gradually due to killing of the bacteria, but the raise of antibodies will persist for a few months so the test will be positive even after the infection got treated.

So the interpretation of test results should be done by your treating Physician and it is very difficult for common people to understand the pattern of raise of titers.

Loss of appetite and lack of interest to eat is due to the inflammatory mediators which generated in the process of infection, inflammation, and the body defense mechanism and they improve gradually over time.

The infection will be cleared with in 10 days to 2 weeks with effective antibiotics and full recovery may take another 1 to 2 weeks.

The course of antibiotic is usually for 10 days or as decided by your doctor.

Infection usually gets clear with the proper use of antibiotics, rest, and diet.

But in some people the relapse of Typhoid fever and chronic carrier state without the disease is noted.

Continue full course of antibiotics as advised by your doctor.

The raised antibodies will stay in body for months together and repeated widal will show positive even after the treatment of the fever and infection.

Therefore repeat widal test is not required.

If you don't have any doubt you can close the session and I request you to rate my answer to advise in a better way for future queries.

Regards.

Follow-up: Undergone widal test. What are the findings in the report? 4 hours later
Hello doctor, thanks for your reply can you please write the below statement in normal terms I cant understand what you said

"But in some people the relapse of Typhoid fever and chronic carrier state without the disease is noted"

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 17 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thank you for getting back.

The meaning is like this:

Antibiotics will usually clear the Typhoid infection from the body.

Relapse means getting Typhoid fever again. This usually occurs in patients who not taken treatment with appropriate antibiotics for proper duration. These will present with fever after some days or months. Relapse percentage is 4 to 8 %.

Chronic carrier state is having the salmonella in the body without any symptoms of Typhoid fever. Here there will be no fever but these will spread the infection to others.The percentage of chronic carrier state is 1 to 5 %.

Hope I have clarified your doubts. If you have any clarification please let me know.

Regards.

Follow-up: Undergone widal test. What are the findings in the report? 23 hours later
HI doctor what is this percentage?

And when ever the typhoid is started from that day onwards iam not feeling hungry, and some vomit sensation by seeing food or smelling of food. this is continuing till now I gone through jandees test it is negative

is this typhoid symptom how long it will be

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 18 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thank you for getting back.

The percentage is to indicate the proportion of people with Typhoid fever who may get reoccurrence of fever and infectious to others.

The loss of hungry and vomiting sensations are due to the infection and these will improve as the infection is treated effectively with the antibiotics.

Happy to hear that your jaundice test is negative.

The symptoms are due to infection and they persist for 1 to 2 weeks.

Take soft, bland diet.

Avoid fried, spicy, junk, and outside food.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any follow up queries please feel free to get back.

Regards.