Undergone widal test. Has fluctuating fever and continuous cough. Is there a problem?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Dear Doc,
My wife XXXXXXX XXXXXXX aged 29 yrs and pregnant of 20 weeks has undergone Widal Test showing TO : 1/160, TH : 1/320, AH : Less than 1/20, BH : Less Than 1/20. She is having Fluctuating fever upto 104 degree Fahrenhiet. and continuous cough. Is she having any problem ?
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 1 hour later
Thanks for writing in.
Your wife is suffering from typhoid fever. She is having a serious problem which needs to be tackled skilfully. I would suggest the following:
1. She needs admission to a hospital.
2. IV antibiotics usually a combination of ciprofloxacin, gentamicin and metronidazole till fever subsides followed by oral form.
3. Give her plenty of fluids (3-4 litres a day)
4. Use tepid water for sponging to bring down the fever.
5. She needs continuous monitoring of the mother by a gastroenterologist to look for abdominal complications and by a gynaecologist for monitoring the baby as well as to monitor side effects of drugs.
I hope this answers your queries.
With regards