Undergone testicular torsion surgery. Diagnosed with ASAB. Semen analysis done. Chances of successful IVF?

Hi, I had undergone Testicular Torsion Surgery 3 years back and my right testicle was removed. Recently I was diagnosed with ASAB. I was treated with steroids and now ASAB is negative. After 3 months of medication to improve the sperm quality, now my Semen analysis shows occasionally sluggish motile sperm seen.My wife's reports are normal. My doctor has adviced me for IVF. What are the chances of the success rate of the IVF considering the high cost of the treatment
Posted Wed, 29 Aug 2012 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 18 minutes later
The presence of anti sperm antibodies decreases the production of healthy sperms thus decreasing the fertility.
An occasional sluggishly motile sperm considerably reduces your chances of fathering a baby by natural process.
In IVF, healthy sperms are selected and these are fertilized thus enhancing your chances of becoming a father. The success rate of IVF varies considerably from center to center. In good centers, the success rate is upto 25-30% per cycle.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Undergone testicular torsion surgery. Diagnosed with ASAB. Semen analysis done. Chances of successful IVF? 14 hours later
Hello Doctor,

Thanks for the reply. I am visiting a good fertility center. I just have one more doubt. Can healthy sperms be found in occasional sluggishly motile sperms?

Thanks and regards
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 9 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
Yes. The sperm sample is centrifuged to concentrate it and then healthy and actively motile sperms are chosen from the sample under microscope for fertilization.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.