Undergone surgery for tumour. Given birth to a child. Possible chances of having tumour again?

hello sir/madam, my aunt (now aged about 52) was gone for operation of tumour in the year 1992. After her marriage in 1989 when she was not pregnant then she examined and diagnosed with that tumour(it is not known to me the exact location of that tumour and also whether it was a tumour or cyst because all her medical records of that time has been lost). But after the removal of that tumour by sugery she became pregnant in the same year and had a girl child. Now she is not having any problem but I am afraid that is there any chance of coming back of that tumour ? Or is there any chance of any serious condition in future due to the past ? Please help me sir / madam. I am afraid because one of my uncle died in cancer after 6 years of his the first surgery the disease again came back. Although as far as I know this case of my aunt is not cancer.
Posted Wed, 25 Sep 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It depends on the type of cancer

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX

The age when your aunt was diagnosed and treated for tumour must have been around 30 years. During this age period some specific types of tumours are prevalent.

Since the tumor was removed by surgery and did not recur, it means that it was most probably a single tumor and did not have any metastasis. Most probably it will not recur again. Since the tumour was not cancerous, then there is not much to worry about. It is important to know the type of tumor she had that time. She can also go for repeat screening by getting some tests done.

Regarding your uncle having a cancer: Only a few tumours have a familial pattern of inheritance. Not all tumors are seen in family members. Tumours behave differently. Some tumors get cured by simple excision. Others may recur after some time. A few may metastasize early and are not well-controlled with treatment.

Since she has been leading a normal life after the surgery, the chances of long term complications are remote. Again long term complications depend on the type of tumour and the type of surgery done. For example, if the pelvic surgery was done, it may affect bladder and bowel control, etc.

I hope I was able to clarify.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr Vaishalee
Follow-up: Undergone surgery for tumour. Given birth to a child. Possible chances of having tumour again? 9 minutes later
thank u mam, she is living a very normal life is there still any requirement to do any test ??? And if it is necessary to do any test then which tests should be done ??? And egarding uncles cancer it is not related to this case anyway but I have mention about it because I was psychologically felt weak after that case. The uncle who died in cancer is not related to the aunt about whom I have mentioned here mam. Please help me.
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Will need screening tests for her age

Detailed Answer:
Hi again.

Screening tests are two types. There are some routine screening tests that are done to rule out some conditions, including some cancers, for example Pap smear, etc. Then there are some specific screening tests that are done in response to specific history or current symptoms like abdominal pain.

After going through the details provided by you, I think that your aunt had an isolated episode of some swelling (tumour) that was non-cancerous and got cured with removal. I personally do not think that she needs any specific follow-up tests.

In her case I think that she needs just the routine tests for now. She can visit her physician to get the prescription for the tests. He may prescribe detailed blood tests, urine tests, pap-smear, mammogram, ECG, etc. If something ominous is going on, it will present in some way on these tests.

Dr Vaishalee