Undergone surgeries on neck and back. Have diabetes, arthritis and Fibromyalgia. What medicine can be taken in place of Morphine ER?

ENT Specialist
Question
What medicine can be taken in place of Morphine ER that is stronger and not as hard on my medical problems? I've had two surgeries on my back and two on my neck and i'm still in excruciating pain. I have diabetes, arthritis, Fibromyalgia , and I suffer from a fast heart beat. I also suffer from severe migraines.
Posted Tue, 12 Nov 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Fentanyl Transdermal Patch

Detailed Answer:

I have gone through your query.
In your condition I personally advised Fentanyl transdermal patch.
It is an opioid analgesic more potent than morphine with fewer side effect.
It used in chronic pain as you have.
The patch work for about 72 hours i.e. long lasting relief from pain but onset of action is about more than 10 hours.

It is better to avoid this if you are an asthmatic, COPD or other lung disease.

If you have any doubt, I will be available for your query.

Follow-up: Undergone surgeries on neck and back. Have diabetes, arthritis and Fibromyalgia. What medicine can be taken in place of Morphine ER? 23 hours later
Are you saying I can't use the Fentynal patch if I have asthma? It only acts up when I get sick.

Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Discuss with your doctor

Detailed Answer:
Hi Sir,
I have gone through your follow up query.
If you are asthmatic then it is absolute necessary to consult your doctor before going through this treatment.

For your kind information about this patch-People with any of the following problems should discuss them with their doctor before using this patch---
1. Respiratory problems of any kind—asthma, COPD, etc.
2. Brain or head injury
3. Patient with heart problem
4. Low thyroid (hypothyroidism)
5. Skin allergies to the glues used in the Fentanyl patch
6. Pregnancy and Breastfeeding women.

If you again have any doubt, I will be available for your query.