Undergone sub total hysterectomy with removal of ovaries. Pubic area has remained numb and hardness felt between vagina and anus. Advise?

Question
52 old female, sub total hysterectomy with removal of ovaries 2 yrs ago, removal of 3cm polyp from colon 3 yrs ago. chronic diarrhoea for > 3yrs, current haemarrhoids. In recent months developed lower abdominal pain, lower back pain, right sided groin pain and pain in right hip radiating down front of leg to knee, resulting in difficulty walking. Since hysterectomy pubic area has remained numb and swollen, however new 'hardness' felt between vagina and anus when wiping in toilet. Feeling of pressure in vulva and anus, uncomfortable to sit, worsens as day goes on, swelling worse on right side, right side of external labia swollen. What do you suggest I ask for by way of investigations? Could haemarrhoids be the cause, or is are current symptoms related to pelvic surgery? thanks
Posted Sat, 31 Aug 2013 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 3 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query,

I am afraid what you explain deserves a careful clinical evaluation. Ascribing these symptoms to surgery could explain in part. First, the numbness could be due to a nerve lesion, and secondly, residual pain could be due to adhesions post surgery. However, a proper clinical, paraclinical and endoscopic examinations are required to support these assertions.

I think you need to carefully examined. A sub total hysterectomy does not exclude a possibility of a cervical lesion (tumor) that should excluded. An abdominal examination, vaginal exam, abdominal ultrasound and pelvic CT scan might be required, coupled with a proper clinical review to orient diagnosis, further blood tests and management.

I strongly suggest you seek the opinion of a gynecologist. Thanks and kind regards as I wish you the best of health. Do not hesitate asking further questions if need be.

Bain ..

Follow-up: Undergone sub total hysterectomy with removal of ovaries. Pubic area has remained numb and hardness felt between vagina and anus. Advise? 36 hours later
Thank you for your help. I have an appointment with a general surgeon on 26th August and will ask about a gyn referral then. I have to admit to being worried about my symptoms and you have put my mind at rest that I am not wasting anyone's time.

Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 7 hours later
Hi and thanks so much for the update,

I would be more than glad to contribute my bit in case need be. Do not hesitate. Wishing you the best of health as we await the results from your encounter with your gynecologist.

For now, be good as I wish you the best of times.

Kind regards,

Bain LE, MD.