Undergone sonographic paratenon stripping procedure for achilles problems. Alternative for cortisone?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have achilles proble and due to have sonographic paratenon stripping procedure which uses cortisone in the injection. Is there any alternative to cortisone?
Posted Mon, 6 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
In cases of achilles tendonitis, paratendon stripping is done under ultrasound guidance. The stripping of pathological vessels is done using saline and diluted steroids- cortisone. Sometimes local anaesthetic like lidocaine or bupivacaine are also injected to reduce the pain.
There is no other alternative which has an equal efficacy.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Undergone sonographic paratenon stripping procedure for achilles problems. Alternative for cortisone? 6 hours later
What are the ramifications of doing the procedure without the steroids or do you have any suggestions as to course of action. The cortisone boots up my sugar levels to unacceptable levels and when given this previously took 2-3 months to get the sugars under control.
Many thanks
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Thanks for writing again.
The local inflammation can only be controlled with local steroid injections. These are not likely to cause such a strong systemic effect so as to derange the blood glucose levels for 2-3 months. The steroids are used in dilute form.
In case you want to avoid steroids then conservative treatment with oral anti inflammatory drugs and hot fomentation will help you.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.