Undergone robotic hysterectomy and having pain in right knee. What do you suggest?

My right knee has bothered me since my robotic hysterectomy I had this past February. The last few days it has been really painful to walk on. I don't know what to do.
Posted Fri, 22 Nov 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Knee pain is due to degenerative joint disease Detailed Answer: Hi Mrs. XXXXXXX Thanks for your query. I wish you had furnished more details about your knee proble, such as, if there is a clicking sound during knee movement; any other joints involved; any morning stiffness of joints or perpetual low back ache. This notwithstanding, from the sketchy details available, I do not feel that there is any correlation between hysterectomy and onset of knee problem. If you are post-menopausal, it is most likely due to degenerative joint disease , which occurs due to osteoporosis and age-related wear & tear of joints, particularly knee joints. I would therefore recommend that you get CT scan of right knee; DEXA scan of bones for osteoporosis; Blood Vitamin D3, Calcium and Phosphate levels done. Pending these test reports, you may take high dose of calcium with Vitamin D3 and, Diacerin daily, which, over a period of time, will certainly give significant relief- as per my vast experience. Further, regular exercises such as walks should be continued. Wearing a knee cap will reduce the pain while walking. Also, if your gynecologist is of the opinion that you need hormonal replacement therapy, please do start it. Consult your doctor, who will prescribe the drugs in appropriate doses. Hope I have answered your query. I will be happy to address to further clarifications, if any.