Undergone medical abortion. Suggested to clear the retained products. Chances of pregnancy in future?

Mar 2016

i have recently under gone for medical abortion of 7.3 weeks aged sac (due to blighted ovum - empty sac with no yolk & fetal pole). The scan resulted as: Normal uterus in size and echotexture. Impression: Retained products (19x14mm) uterine fundus to right side. Thin film of fluid + ut cavity. Now I am using 4 more days to clear the retained products as suggested by gynic. Is it right way to proceed and how the scan report? how about getting pregnancy in future??
Posted Mon, 16 Sep 2013 in Abortion and Stillbirth
Answered by Dr. S Patra 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
D & C is Preferred in Failed Medical Abortion.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing to us. Followings are my comments:

1) Medical abortion procedure takes time up to one week to completely resolve. Sometimes repeat medication are suggested to clear retained bits or products if there is failure with pills in the first attempt.

However, surgical method (D & C) is preferred choice to evacuate uterine cavity completely in the presence of retained bits. I recommend surgical method as first choice in any case of failed abortion.

2) Yes, you will be able to conceive in future after this abortion. However, you would try for planning a baby after 2 months. In addition, you must take Vitamin E & folic acid supplements for 3 months in preconception stage to avoid NTD (Neural Tube Defect) of growing fetus in early week of pregnancy.

Hope, above information is helpful to you. Let me know, if you need any clarification.

Wish your good health and take care yourself.

Dr Soumen
Follow-up: Undergone medical abortion. Suggested to clear the retained products. Chances of pregnancy in future? 1 hour later
Hi Dr Soumen,

Thanks for your response!
The Gynic doctor told that the D&C would lead to infection (10%) , so we have opted for medical abortion on 17th (1st dose) and on 19th (2nd dose). Now i am suffering from viral fever so doctor suggested to wait for D&C (for retained bits found in scan on 26thAug) until recover from fever. As i asked for alternate process for D&C, she has suggested to use Zitotec 200 for days and go for another scan. Will this 4days use of the medicines will clean the retained bits without going for D&C?? Is there any possibility to ensure the complete abortion before going for scan??
any complications will raise in future with more number of scans (so far 4 scans over)??
From my recent scan report (as i mentioned before in the query) any complications are foreseeing??
Answered by Dr. S Patra 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Repeated abortion pill is alternative to D & C.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your follow up queries. Followings are my response:

1) Best method is surgical (D & C) to evacuate uterine cavity after failed medical abortion with retained bits. As you are suffering from viral fever, D & C can't be done due to increased risk of uterine infection.

Therefore, repeated doses of abortion pill/ medication is given to you as alternative method. It will definitely clear retained products. However, if it fails again, you have to go for D & C only after recovery.

2) Ultrasound scan is the investigation of choice following medicated abortion to check retained products. It is reliable, non-invasive & confirmatory test.

3) Ultrasound scan is relatively safe in comparison to other radiological method. Here, hazards of radiation exposure is quite low. So, you have nothing to worry.

4) Your recent scan reveals only retained products of incomplete abortion & there is no other complication. It should be evacuated as early possible to avoid uterine infection. Kindly, visit to your gynecologist for follow up examination and further management.

Hope, I have answered your all queries. If you don't have any query, you can close the discussion.

Good luck. All the best.

Dr Soumen