Undergone loop diathermy. Tested positive for pregnancy. Any harm to fetus due to local anesthesia?

Hi i had the loop diathermy 2 weeks ago but i didnt know that i was pregnant. And last monday i found out i am around 4 weeks pregnant. Could the local anasthetic into my cervix of harmed the fetus?
Posted Mon, 22 Apr 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 1 hour later
Please clarify for me:

1. Was the diathermy done related to an abnormal Pap smear?
2. How was the pregnancy confirmed?
3. What was the first day of you last period?

Thank you!
Follow-up: Undergone loop diathermy. Tested positive for pregnancy. Any harm to fetus due to local anesthesia? 6 minutes later
Yeah the diathermy was done cos i got the cin2. I confirmed the pregnancy with the urine home kit. My first day of my last period was 25th of february.
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 30 minutes later
Thank you for the followup.

Based on your first day of your last period, you are actually 5 weeks and 2 days along. I understand your concerns about the procedure. As far as the diathermy, given that this involves "freezing" the external area of the cervix without any actual removal of the cervix, this carries little to no risk to the pregnancy. As far as the local anesthetic, it is extremely unlikely that this has posed any risk to the fetus. Quoting a reputable source - "Animal studies with lidocaine have not shown teratogenic effects" meaning that it does not cause harm to the fetus. So moving forward I would recommend the following:

1. You need to avoid intercourse for 4 weeks while the cervix heals
2. Expect that you might have some abnormal discharge, and perhaps even shedding of a 'scab' like piece of tissue from the outside of the cervix
3. Arrange for an ultrasound between 6-7 weeks so that your pregnancy can be fully assessed (you cannot see a heart beat before 6 weeks)

I hope that this helps and good luck!