Undergone holter monitor test. What does the finding mean?

I had an overnight halter monitor done and was found to have:
1. Basic rhythm was sinus with sinus arythmia
2. No VPCs were seen
3. Rare SVPCs occurred singly and in one pair. Two 3-5 beat runs of supra-ventricular tachycardia were noted. The maximum rate of SVT was 187 BPM
4. ST segment depression did not exceed resent criteria
5. The patient recorded feeling "heart skipped" at the time of short episodes of SVT

Can you explain what all this means? Should i have more tests done?
Posted Sat, 11 May 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 7 hours later
Dear Ma'am
The explanation of your holter monitoring is as follows.
1. You have sinus rhythm with sinus arrhythmia, which is normal, and it tells that the origin of beats in your heart is from its normal usual site of SINUS NODE.
2. No premature beats originating from your ventricles (main 2 chambers of heart)) seen. That is again normal.
3. Rare SVPC seen with two runs of supraventricular tachycardia (SVT) noted with 3-5 beats. It means that for very short period of times the point of origin of your heartbeat shifted to outside your SINUS NODE to the other structures in atria.
4. ST depression was within normal limits.
5. You felt something when the SVT occurred.
Now the importance of this skipping of heart and occurrence of SVT depends entirely on your clinical condition i.e. why the test was done. If you had significant symptoms similar to skipping of beats then it explains that on those times you probably had episodes of SVT. Further work-up will also depend upon your problems/complaints and symptoms. Otherwise this holter is near normal and the runs of SVTs also do not have much significance without symptoms.
I hope it is clear to you now. Please tell me why this test was done and what complaints you had, with any other relevant medical history.
I am waiting for your next query with these details.
sukhvinder XXXXXXX