Undergone hernia related surgeries. Planning to undergo triple neurectomy. Any sensory changes after neurectomy?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Question
I have had from 1986 to present, 22 hernia and hernia related surgery's. I am in pain daily and I am now considering having triple neurectomy to lesson the pain. My question to you is, what sensory changes could I expect after neurectomy? and any other advice/ thoughts you may have on this.
Posted Fri, 16 Aug 2013 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 1 hour later
Hi

Thanks for writing in

Am shocked to learn about all the agony you would have passed through and respect your ability to bear the same

Neurectomy will cause loss of sensation in the area covered by the nerve

I would suggest you inquire if anyone does a temporary chemical neurectomy

have the feel of loss of sensation, if it is bearable compared to the pain you are having it is worth going for a permanent one

Hope this helps
Do write back in case of concern
Wishing you a healthy life ahead

Follow-up: Undergone hernia related surgeries. Planning to undergo triple neurectomy. Any sensory changes after neurectomy? 7 hours later
Thank you for your concern,

I think the nerves that would be cut are, ilioinguinal nerve, genitofemoral nerve, Iliohypogastric nerve. Preface this with I think! To my thinking, I would have sensory deficit in and or around the scrotum, or the leg above the knee and possibly the penis? My biggest concern would be loss of motor control in the area of my leg (example ability to walk). I am sure there is the possibility of loss of feeling to the penis leading to dysfunction of that organ. I would also ask you if there is anything else, I should be thinking about when considering this type operation. In closing I would like to, thank you for your kind words to me, this has been a trying time in my life spanning the last 27 years. Many times when going to the doctor I have encountered; a doctor in a rush, frustration and disgust when asking for medicine to control my pain. If you know of any doctors in the XXXXXXX Arbor Michigan area, please feel free to recommend them.

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 10 hours later
Hi

Thanks for writing in again

I can understand the situation, fortunately in India we feel doctor patient relationship and the interaction plays a major role in treating the patients

You are correct as far as your understanding of your disease is concerned

I wonder if you have tried Methylcobalamine and Gabapentin

These medicines work great in neuronal pains

Regarding the impairment of motor control like walking , I feel it should not as the major muscles involved in walking are not supplied by either of these, though illiohypogastric does supply the muscles of upper buttock, I feel it should not cause major issue in motor function of the limb

Give me a day or two, Will communicate with my friends in Michigan and inquire of an expert in that area

Do not hesitate to write back or even call back in case of concern
Wishing you a healthy life ahead