Undergone endocarditis surgery. Prescribed with warfarin. Planning to stop the medication. Is it correct?

May 2014

On August 16 I had endocarditis surgery. The cardiologist prescribed 12 weeks of warfarin and wrote that I should ideally be between 2 and 2.5. There has only been 3 days when the level was 2.3. The rest of the time, the level was around 1.7. I am proceding with the idea that after 12 weeks, I can stop taking the warfarin regardless of the history of the levels achieved. Is this correct?
Posted Tue, 29 Oct 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please find detailed answer below.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in to us.

I have read through your query in detail.

You might be aware that Warfarin is used to prevent blood clots from forming or growing larger in your blood and blood vessels. It is prescribed for endocarditis treatment and in people with certain types of irregular heartbeat, people with prosthetic (replacement or mechanical) heart valves, and people who have suffered a heart attack. Warfarin is also used to treat or prevent venous thrombosis (swelling and blood clot in a vein) and pulmonary embolism (a blood clot in the lung). Warfarin is in a class of medications called anticoagulants ('blood thinners'). It works by decreasing the clotting ability of the blood.

The goal of anticoagulant therapy with warfarin is to administer the lowest effective dose of the drug to maintain the target international normalized ratio (INR). It is usual to continue warfarin and monitor INR levels at 2 - 2.5. Treatment with warfarin is recommended for at least 3 months. After 3 months of therapy, we evaluate the risk-benefit ratio of continuation treatment for the individual patient. Please discuss stopping warfarin with your cardiologist.

Warfarin prevents blood from clotting so it may take longer than usual for you to stop bleeding if you are cut or injured. Avoid activities or sports that have a high risk of causing injury. Call your doctor if bleeding is unusual or if you fall and get hurt, especially if you hit your head. If your doctor tells you to stop taking warfarin, the effects of this medication may last for 2 to 5 days after you stop taking it.

Hope your query is answered.
Do write back in case of doubts.

Dr. Vivek