Ask a Urologist   »  

Undergone cystoscopy. Pain while urination. Is there any way to alleviate the pain?

I have had a cystoscopy before and am scheduled for another one soon. My biggest complaint was that after the procedure, one HAS to urinate and the extremely sharp pain made it impossible to do so. I came close to passing out, broke out into a cold sweat and could not urinate. This continued for a couple of hours with considerable discomfort until I could let out only small amounts, with pain. The urologist gave me pain medication to take after the procedure because he said the meds would color the very area he was examining so couldn't give it to me beforehand. . Is there any way to alleviate the very bad pain after the procedure when trying to urinate?
Posted Wed, 24 Apr 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. V. Sasanka 43 minutes later
If you have pain after the procedure, it is likely to be due to transient edema of the delicate mucosa.
If the pain is indeed very severe, you can request your urologist to place a urinary catheter which is a tubing made out of medicated rubber with silicone till the edema from the procedure itself subsides, and start you on mild anti-inflammatory agents along with a drug belonging to a class of drugs called alpha-blockers.
This is usually a minor inconvenience, and is likely to be much less irritating than having to void straining through a very narrow passage due to previous instrumentation. the technical term for this is 'trial void without catheter'.
There are many variants of this class of drugs, and you could benefit from something like Flomax.
You have not mentioned why you need to undergo the cystoscopy, but I hope there is no major issue.
Hope you get relief from your trouble with this maneuver.