Undergone cautery procedure for nosebleeds. Noticed black stain under nostril. Concerned

Jun 2013
My daughter had a cautery procedure today for nosebleeds and now has a black stain under her nostril that she is very self-conscious about. We weren't told anything about this happening and it is after hours but we just want to know how to get rid of the black....
Posted Fri, 24 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sushil Kumar Sompur 8 hours later
Hi there ~

I understand your concern. However if your daughter had a cautery procedure for nosebleeds today, it most probably is clotted blood that is going to go away in about 7 - 10 days since this is the usual healing time that a wound takes. It may also be easier to reassure her saying that she might heal faster since the areas on the face usually do so, due to a higher than normal blood supply compared to other areas. I would also give her less attention when she asks you about the black. I hope this helps.

Take care and do not forget to see your doctor or call the surgeon if anything worsens or she starts to have bleeding. I hope this helps.

Take care and have a lovely day!