Undergone c-section, gall bladder and appendix removal. Started bleeding from anus. Related?

Hi . I had a c-section July 2012, my gall bladder removed august 2012 and my appendix XXXXXXX 2013. I have been admitted to hospital 3 times since with intra-abdominal abscesses. The past week i have been bleeding from my back passage , outwith bowel movement. I dont have piles. I have also been having terrible nosebleeds. Could these be related ?
Posted Mon, 1 Apr 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 1 hour later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic.

If the bleeding has been spontaneous, painless and in large quantities, it is possible that the nose bleeds and the rectal bleeds could be related, that is, you could be suffering from an underlying bleeding disorder (an abnormality in the normal clotting mechanisms in the blood). In such a possibile scenario, you may have to undergo certain special blood tests to detect such a disorder.

However, if your rectal bleeding has been only minimal and associated with pain or constipation, then you are likely to be suffering from an anal fissure.

So, I would suggest that the best way forward is to have a physical examination to check for any local causes of bleeding, and if nothing is found, then it would be better to have further blood tests to check for any bleeding disorder.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist