Undergone angioplasty for a heart stent. Suggest cure, exercise and diet plan

Cardiac Surgeon

My dad had undergone angioplasty for a heart stent in January'13. I'm very tensed about his diet and daily life as he used to live a diffrent life style. I need some help and recommendations in knowing what type of care he needs to take now to live longer.

1. What is the life time of sten? We went for medicated stent and doctor said that it is the best one available today. I'm more worried that whether stent may lead to bypass surgery later? Is it true?

2. What happens when the stent malfuntions? What about after the life time of stent?

3. what type diet he is allowed to take? Please elaborate like can he take take tea, milk etc.? Any type of fruit or fruit juice is allowed?

4. what type of exercise is allowed now? It is merely 3rd week post stenting now.

5. Doctor said to consult him again in May'13 and the hospital is my near to my hometown. I live and work in Bangalore and hence I would like to take him here and consult a good doctor in Bangalore? Please suggest whether he can go for atrain journey of 15 hours now? Is there any good doctor in Bangalore for my dad's checkup?
Posted Sun, 17 Feb 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Nisarga 2 hours later

I will try to answer all your doubts.

1. Life of a stent: Because it is a drug eluting stent, it is very superior to bare metal stent. If the other risk factors are taken care, the life of stent will be very long, say 25-30 years also. If the stent were blocked by any reason, surgery would be the alternate option.

2. If the stent is getting occluded over a period of time, patient may experience chest pain or breathlessness on exertion. That time it is better to consult the cardiologist. ECG, TMT, Echo cardiogram may be required at that time. Angiogram will be required if there is a strong suspicion.

3. As he is not diabetic he can take any fruit or fruit juice. There is absolutely no restriction for any fruit. As the main reason for coronary artery disease is deranged lipid profile, he should avoid fat intake in any form. Let him be free of oily foods, cheese, butter, ghee, XXXXXXX fried items. No added oil in the food. Non-vegetarian food can be taken once in a week. Avoid chicken and mutton, more of fish. Egg white can be taken, but not yellow. Let him consume more vegetarian diet. Moderate amount of tea is acceptable. Milk is not a contraindication.

4.He can start the exercise now. He should be on a regular exercise. Daily brisk walking is advised. He should sweat while walking. He can walk as much as possible until he becomes tired. There is no fixed distance.

5. He can very well have a train journey for 15 hours and absolutely there is no problem. You can consult me Sapthagiri superspeciality hospital, Bangalore.

Hope you are satisfied with my answer. All the best.
Follow-up: Undergone angioplasty for a heart stent. Suggest cure, exercise and diet plan 2 hours later
Hi Nisarga

Thank you so much for the quick repsonse. It was very helpful.

I have one more query. Can he lift any weights like a full bucket of water whle bathing or my child who is 2 years old and weignhing 14 KG.

Also he prays 5 times namaz where he prostrates liek bow down during namaz. When can he do it now. Thank you for the help. I will come back if there are any more questions.

Answered by Dr. Nisarga 29 minutes later
There is no problem with lifting weights like the bucket of water or a kid... Even if the kid is 14 kg plus...
Absolutely no problem in bending or any other posture for his religious purpose.
All the best.
Dr Nisarga
Follow-up: Undergone angioplasty for a heart stent. Suggest cure, exercise and diet plan 57 minutes later
One more question. Can he ride bicycle and also motor cycle now? If nto when can he do it. Your answers are very helpful.

Answered by Dr. Nisarga 20 minutes later
Surely. Yes he can ride bicycle or ride a two wheeler or drive a four wheeler. No contraindication. Just let him lead a normal life as usual and as before except for few things which I explained earlier.