Undergone acdf surgery. Breathing oxygen after surgery. Have constant nausea and difficulty in swallowing. Suggest further treatment?

I went in for acdf surgery last month. 2 hours after the surgery, I realised I was having major complications that resulted in me going in to respitory arrest. (Haematoma in the throat cut off airway) I was rushed to emergancy surgery, but before the tracheostomy could be fitted, I was recorded as not breathing for 11minutes and 4seconds. As an athlete, I have a huge lung capacity, and I had been breathing oxygen following the initial surgery, so I somehow managed to pull through, after a stay on life support machine, relatively unscathed considering the gravity of the situation.

My question is, although I have no major brain damage, is it possible that I have mild brain damage that hasn't been immediately noticed? I keep forgetting what I'm doing when I'm trying to cook dinner, or studying, for example, I'm struggling for the correct words, the light is hurting my eyes, and I can't stop passing urine every half hour or so. I also have a constant nausea, some problems swallowing and headache. (Some of those problems might be linked to the trache, and other things might just be because this all happened relatively recently)

I appreciate, because of how traumatic the experience was, I could be being paranoid, but I just feel so ill. Everyone, Dr's, nurses, and my family were so shocked and happy when I came to, and had cognitive function, I kind of feel like the smaller problems were glossed over. I just want to know what I should be looking out for...

Thank you.
Posted Sun, 10 Nov 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Irshad H Naqvi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Minimal brain damage.collective support required.

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to the platform of Health Care Magic.

Dear it is quite surprising and miraculous retention of brain cognitive function even after 11 minutes of respiratory arrest.

Usually brain is dead or vegetative after this much of prolonged Cerebral Hypoxia. Your are really lucky enough to have a such mental status to write such a long letter.

Minor abrasions which you have explained are quite expected. To map every neuron damaged is not possible. It can be gradually experienced by the individual if being minutely observed. Innumerous deficits may be observed by the person.

Collective support of Physiotherapist.neurologist,counselors,Clinical psychologist, psychiatrists. physicians, family members, colleagues etc will help to improve the quality of life.

Hope for the best,

Please feel free for the further clarification.

Follow-up: Undergone acdf surgery. Breathing oxygen after surgery. Have constant nausea and difficulty in swallowing. Suggest further treatment? 37 hours later
Thank you for your answer.

I am waiting for the follow up appointments with the orthopedic spine surgeon, and also with the ENT consultant. I will bring up my concerns with them. Could you tell me if there is any specific tests I should ask for, or as it is clearly quite mild, testing would prove pointless?

Any advice on what to ask the consultants when I see them would be greatly appreciated, as I feel quite lost, and confused. No-one in the hospital really spoke to me about returning home, or counselling etc, and I live far from my family, so when I forget things, there's no one there to remind me.

Thank you
Answered by Dr. Irshad H Naqvi 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
Memory techniques, Brain Training

Detailed Answer:
When ever you happen to XXXXXXX the Neurologist, Counselors, Clinical psychologist, psychiatrists etc try to discuss some rehabilitative measures like Memory Techniques, Brain Training, Memory Exercises, Memory tests, Mentalrobics etc especially for your quality life improvement.

For the frequency of Urine /incontinence discuss with neurologist and physiotherapist.

Physiotherapists will of significant help in improving the smooth movements of body.

Confusion and forgetfulness to be discussed with clinical psychologist.
Over all well being will be achieved by the collective efforts of such supportive group.

Always be in touch with your physician for proper guidance and immediate health management.

Hope the query is answered.