Undergone a heart surgery related to arch replacement of aorta and CABG. Taking Metolar50. Reason of high BP?

Question
I have recenntly undergone a heart surgery on 3rd August '12 related to arch replacement of aorta and CABG.My BP is varying between 150/70 to 125/60.Dr has prescribed following medicene-(1)Metolar50(morning and evening)
Lossar H50(morning & evening), (3) Amlodipine 5mg(morning & evening),(4)Rosuvas20(bed time),(5) Deplate 75(bed time).(6) Ecosprinne(300mg) bed time.
Why my blood pressure is not coming in control?
I have reduced sexual desire Why?
Posted Sat, 30 Mar 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 33 minutes later
Dear Mr XXXXXXX
Welcome to Health Care Magic

Your lab results are nearly normal except a little low HDL
You are already on statin / exercise may help.

The systolic blood pressure is a bit high / the medicines are proper - you are taking 4 of them and in proper doses. It could be from stress / white coat hypertension.
It is better to have ambulatory BP monitoring to document the rise of BP before attempting any more drugs.

Sexual Asthenia may be from depression and/or drugs - possibly Metoprolol; but you need to take it, after CABG. If you are not taking nitrates, sildenafil (Viagra) may help - discuss with your doctor.

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck

Follow-up: Undergone a heart surgery related to arch replacement of aorta and CABG. Taking Metolar50. Reason of high BP? 25 minutes later
I am taking evening walk up to 2 km and this schedule is continuing since september'12.In office presently I do not have any job I pass time just with computers.The BP measured is with a digital instrument at home.While In hospital It is coming around 130/80 and some time it crosses 140/70.

Why the Bp is not under control?
What is to be done to improve HDL?
Is it absolutely ok to lead a life like this?
The food restriction will continue ?
Please reply I am worried.

Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 29 minutes later
Hospital readings are likely to be correct.
Get your machine checked and compared with standardised machines.
Also anxiety, muscle movement and so on could affect digital readings.

Your BP is fairly controlled.
Even if it is right, there is only mild and isolated systolic rise.
This is usually due to stiffness / reduced elasticity of the large blood vessels like aorta / in your case the replacement graft .
Nothing to worry. Nothing to do.

Statin helps to improve HDL – you are already taking (Rosuvas)
Exercise helps / you can increase the present exercise - 2 KM both mornig and evening.

The restriction in food – particularly fat – has to continue.

Follow-up: Undergone a heart surgery related to arch replacement of aorta and CABG. Taking Metolar50. Reason of high BP? 31 minutes later
MY FEET SWELLS.wHY?WHAT TO DO?
wHAT IS THE LIFE EXPECTENCY AFTER AORTA REPLACEMENT & CABG?

Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 42 minutes later
Swelling of the feet may have several reasons – Heart / Kidney / Liver / low albumin / Chronic venous insufficiency / Lymphatic obstruction and so on.
You should see your treating doctor / get examined / have relevant investigations based on his assessment – like repeat ECHOcardiogram, Blood tests, Doppler for lower extremity veins, so on so forth.
____________________________________________________________________
It is not practical to predict exactly the life expectancy in a given individual.
It is a statistical projection based on a combination of factors derived from diverse populations.
It is dictated by several factors – the underlying cause for the surgery; whether the cause itself is curable or controllable / how well the surgery was performed / ventricular function before and after / treat-ability of risk factors / associated medical problems etc...

In general, it is practically near normal in aortic replacement / about 15 to 20 years in CABG depending on the number of grafts and underlying native vessel disease

Your treating doctor who did the surgery and having all the information will be the best one to judge.

Follow-up: Undergone a heart surgery related to arch replacement of aorta and CABG. Taking Metolar50. Reason of high BP? 2 days later
good morning.
presently My concern is my BP is fluctuating (145/68 to 120/70)why?
Will it be normal toad life like this?

Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 1 hour later
The fluctuation is normal.
It is practically within range.
BP varies with the time of the day, activity, posture, emotion and so on
All biological values must vary - if only it doe not vary, it is abnormal