Undergone Radio Catheter Ablation for treatment of Atrial Fibrillation. Taking Cordarone, Calaptin. Correct?

Nov 2013

I have undergone Radio Catheter Ablation for treatment of Atrial Fibrillation in March,2012 and I am a RHD patient too.
My Cardiologist has advised me to take Acitrom 2 & 3 every alternate days to keep the INR betwee 2-3 and in last October I had a Check-up under him and everything found normal. But, with taking Acitrom , I have been experiencing severe pruritus which is mostly triggered by sudden entering in a crowded/polluted area and also I have been noticing that it comes sometimes whenever I do bend for something. I may like to put the details of remedies which I am advised to everyday:
1) Cordarone 100-OD
2) Thyronorm-100 mcg-OD( my present TSH is 7.2)
3) Calaptin 80 -Three times daily.
4) Nexpro40-OD
5)Lasix-20 mg-OD
6) Ecosprin75 -OD
7) Acitrom 2 & 3 mg-OD
8) Cardace 2.5 -OD
Would please advise me what should I do now !
Posted Fri, 22 Feb 2013 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

In your case, anticoagulation is required for long term, possibly life long.

Acitrom is a good drug for the purpose. However, in your case, there are two problems with it- 1. Pruritus, as a side effect of the drug; 2. Need to check PT/INR on a regular basis (it is inconvenient, money is required for the test, need to go to hospital for the test, etc).

For you, there are two alternative medications for the same purpose (anticoagulation):

1. Dabigatran (Pradaxa)- approved by FDA for atrial fibrillation patients. With this, you do not need to check PT/INR. You have to take same fixed dose everyday. Moreover, pruritus does not occur with this. This medicine is easily available in India.

2. Warfarin- with this, pruritus may stop, but you would still have to do PT/INR blood test. Please discuss these alternatives with your doctor.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM