Undergone ICSI operation. Semen analysis done. Found atheno-teratozoospermia. Cause for concern?

Infertility Specialist
Hi,how are you ,i married 19 months ago, we have problems to get normal babies so ,we went for the ICSI operation once but it failed,when i did the semen analysis two times ,the first one was 8 months ago and the conclusion was MILD astheno-zoospermia and the second one a few days ago and the conclusion was atheno-teratozoospermia (i ejaculate twice during doing the last semen test)so,i went to a doctor and he just examine me yesterday and asked me to do some tests and one of them is a chromosomal culture for a severe oligoathenospermia ,so,what do you think and is there is any granted medicine for my case and if so,i can get normal babies or i had to go again for ICSI.

Posted Mon, 6 May 2013 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 1 hour later

I saw your reports and I understand your concerns.

Following is my reply:

1) Both the reports appear to be from same centre and have lot of difference. I suggest you get your sample tested in one of the best laboratory in your place or nearby place.

2) First report has no much problem except for mild astheno spermia which is a small problem and does not matter much. But second report shows abnormal forms in morphology. Hence report seems not very authentic.

3) As per first report you can try for natural pregnancy otherwise Intrauterine Insemination ( IUI ) which is a simple and cost effective procedure.

4) But if your second report is true, I suggest you have to go ahead with ICSI procedure only.

Hence please repeat the test in another good laboratory before proceeding with any decision.

Please send me a copy of new report.

Dr. Mahesh Koregol
IVF & Infertility Specialist .