Undergone ICD treatment for abscess under armpit. Felt hardness below skin. Medical cure?

General Surgeon
I have gone ICD (Incision Cut & Drain) treatment for Abscess under left armpit on 03.04.2013. The diagnosis was auxiliary abscess. Post ICD the wound had healed completely in 5-6days. Details are as under:
Size of Abscess: About 3 CM Substantial Pus was removed. Post ICD I was kept on
1)     Augmentin 625 mg twice for 1 week
2)     Becosule & Limcee Once per day
3)     Serra D Tablets 3 times a day
4)     Metrogyl Tablets 3 times a day.
Yesterday I have observed hardness below the skin in same armpit roughly in the same area where abscess had been removed. Although there is no swelling & pain till today. Please suggest remedial actin.
Posted Sat, 4 May 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 30 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

There is no other treatment of an abscess than incision and antibiotics after pus removal. So if you find this hardness similar to the abscess you have had before, same treatment should be done.
More important is to find the reason of abscess recurrence. The reason of such abscess under the armpit can be skin infection due to increased sweating and lack of hygiene, diabetes. Sometimes such abscess can appear due to breast cancer metastases to armpit lymph nodes. That is why I suggest you to have breast ultrasound, armpit ultrasound and sugar level checked. You should also keep your armpit clean and dry.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.