Undergone D&C. Having abdominal pain. Sonography showed cyst. Prescribed contraceptives. Should i continue with Contraceptives?

HI ,Unfortunately i have underfone D&C on Feb 15th. I did not experience any issue untill one day on 3rd May i have the pain in Abdomen. On sonography, i was diagonized on a cyst. Doctor precribed a weeks couse that too care of the pain and she put me on contraceptives for 3 months ( which i never took before). My period in XXXXXXX was normal and post period i did the sonography where all turned normal with no cyst. Question:-
1.) Should i continue with Contraceptives? How long? Given the fact that we take precautions at our end not to get pregnent and i dont prefer to take contraceptive pills, how long / why should i take conterceptive.
2.) Medically, Considering the fact of D&C in Feb and the cyst in May which is all clear in XXXXXXX How long should i wait before i try to conceive?
Posted Thu, 18 Jul 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 27 hours later

Thank you for choosing XXXXXXX I can understand your concern. Answering would have been easier if you mentioned me about the type and size of cyst. I will be happier if you attach me your scan reports with your next follow-up.
1) Combined estrogen and progesterone contraceptive pills have shown to decrease in size for Physiological cysts, that's the reason I feel you have been put on pills. These pills are absolutely safe and very helpful if you are not overweight, do not smoke and not suffering from hypertension and diabetes. Even for my patients with SIMPLE OVARIAN CYSTS I put my patients on oral contraceptive pills for 3 cycles; they are quite effective in reducing the size of cysts. Hence, I suggest you to complete 3 cycles of taking OC pills. Then for contraception you can go for Copper 'T' insertion or any other methods which suits you like IMPLANTS, VAGINAL RINGS, TRANS-DERMAL PATCHES.
2) If the cyst is small, you can plan your pregnancy as soon as possible. There is no cut off dates. In fact, pregnancy can help ovarian cysts to disappear. Most important thing, if you are planning for pregnancies please do not go for any contraception.
I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow-ups. If you like my answers kindly rate it, and write a review as well. Please do not forget to accept it.
Thank you,
Wish you good health.
Dr Arif
You can consult me again directly through my profile