Undergone ASD closure surgery. Got fever and taking calpol. Any suggestion?

My wife has undergone ASD closure surgery around 3 weeks before. Till now her health conditions were good but yesterday suddenly she got fever which is around 103.7 degrees at this point of time. I have been giving her CALPOL but its not helping. Not able to reach any doctor from the Hospital at this point of time.
Posted Wed, 20 Feb 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 49 minutes later
Thanks for writing in.
I am a qualified and certified cardiologist. I read your question with diligence.
The fever can be related to surgery secondly it could be unrelated to surgery either viral or infective in origin. She will have to be seen by doctor, not necessarily the surgeon who operated upon her. If fever does not controlled by Calpol in 2 days, I will urge you that she should be seen by any doctor in emergency of the same hospital. Surgical wound will be examined, other systems will be examined thoroughly and then certain investigations will be sent to find out source of infection if any. This is necessary before a specific treatment is started. It is not advisable to start antibiotics as of now without investigations. If you have any questions please write, you will get a reply asap. Good Luck.

With Best Wishes

Dr Anil Grover