Undergoing radioactive iodine treatment. Have dry mouth and altered taste. Worrisone

Jun 2015

My husband has had his fourth treatment of R. A. I. and this time he has a very dry mouth after it and his tea has a very bad taste will this go away or what can he do to ease the problem he had his treatment ten days ago.
Posted Tue, 19 Feb 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 3 hours later
Hello dear...
The risks from Radio Active Iodine treatment include:
1.Nausea & vomiting
2. Change of taste in the mouth.
3.Dry mouth.
4.Sore throat.
5. Pain and swelling in the neck
6. Fatigue
7. Hypothyroidism
So...the symptoms as mentioned in your post like dry mouth & bad taste of tea is attributed to XXXXXXX therapy.
This is due to the effect of the Radioactive Iodine on Salivary glands & Taste buds.
But there is nothing to worry....these symptoms are temporary & resolves on their own in a few days depending upon the dose and duration of the therapy.
However...Chewing gum & sucking on sour candy or lemon stimulates the salivary gland, increases saliva production, maintains the moisture content/hydration of the oral cavity...thus help in combating the symptoms of dry mouth & altered taste.
Wishing a Good Health. Let me know if I need to clarify further.
Thanks & take care.