Undergoing migraine treatment. Detected with kidney stone and foul smell urine. Urine infection?

I have been recently detected with Kidney stone in my left Kidney of 3.1 mm. I was undergoing a migraine treatment and was having Topaz-50 tablets . After the curent stone has been detected. My doc has advised me to stop taking Topaz-50 tablet and switched to DIVA OD 750 for Migraine. When I consulted the urologist he said there is no medication for such a small stone and it will flow out by itself if I have lot of water. However he has currently prescribed me potrate syrup but has told me it can cause gas.However I did not take that mediciene as it was not mandatory. But since past 15 days I have been observing my urine has extremely foul smell like rotten coconut water. This use be the case earlier but once a while may be once in 15 days but now its daily routine. Does that mean that the stone size has increased or my kidney has got damaged or I have developed some sought of urine infection . Please guide me . Also I need to visit a nephrologist or urologist for the same .
Posted Wed, 27 Mar 2013 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Sree Bhushan Raju 3 hours later

Usually infections in the urine do no cause any foul smell. The foul smell also does not indicate increase in size of stone or any other serious problem. But still you can get urine culture done to exclude any doubts.

Small stone( < 5mm ) do not require any intervention and as your doctor suggested it will usually passed off in the urine.

Some people will have tendency for stone formation; especially in summer the tendency increases. Please avoid dehydration and drinking cool drinks (rich in phosphates which are part of the renal stone). You can get ultrasound scan done again. That will clarify your doubts about whether the stone has passed away or retained.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you need clarifications.