Undergoing chemo treatments and blood transfusions. What supplements can be taken for myelodysplastic syndrome?

What supplements/vitamins etc. should someone diagnosed with myelodysplastic syndrome be taking? He is undergoing chemo treatments and blood transfusions.
Posted Sat, 10 Aug 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 8 hours later
Hello and thank you for sending your question.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations.

I would recommend a good general multivitamin. I would not recommend any additional supplements including antioxidant supplements.

The reason why we don't recommend antioxidant supplements is that sometimes it may decrease the effectiveness of chemotherapy. The reason why this may occur is because chemotherapy tends to damage rapidly dividing cells - this includes cancer cells.

Antioxidant medications and supplements can sometimes assist these cells in repairing themselves to become active once again hence decreasing the effectiveness of the treatment.

Again I think a good general multivitamin once daily would be more than enough regarding a daily supplement.

Thank you again for sending your question. Please let me know if you have any additional specific concerns.

Dr Galamaga