Underarms become whitish and starts peeling after using deodorant. Is this normal?

Question
Ever since I started using a mineral stick as a deodorant, the skin in my underarms have become whitish and started peeling. It's very itchy and reddish where a lot of skin has peeled off. The thing is that with normal deodorants, the skin in my underarms start turning blackish and the mineral deodorant stick is helping me regain my natural skin colour but it also has the peeling effect. Please help
Posted Fri, 2 Nov 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 3 hours later

Most of the deodorants contain different chemical substances which along with beneficial effects have also some adverse effects. The major side effect of most of these substances is the hypersensitivity which may be either systemic like with systemic drugs or local with topical drugs.

The problem you are having with deodorants is the development of the hypersensitivity of your skin to these substances or in other words this substance causes allergic reaction which manifests the following symptoms.

Whenever using mineral deodorants, use it along with topic antiallergents and hope you will not have these symptoms with its use.

If you still have some queries, feel free to contact.

Thanks