Underarm rash, purple-red, warm, lump, painful. Related?

My 16 year old daughter got a rash under her arm a few weeks ago and I thought nothing of it since she has sensitive skin and prone to rashes after shaving. When she showed it to me tonight I was quite alarmed as it goes down outside the pit and is pruply-red, raised a bit and hot to the touch. More alarming is the walnut size very hot lump that developed onher elbow! She says its been hurting for a few days but just noticed the lump. Are these related and what can I do?
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 44 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query. Purple red, slightly raised, painful hot rashes under the arms and a lump under the elbow are clearly indicative of an infection and the lump on the elbow is most likely a swollen lymph node. It might be that cellulitis has occurred after shaving of the area. Cellulitis is an infection of the XXXXXXX subcutaneous tissue of the skin which can be caused by normal skin flora or by exogenous bacteria.

I feel that you should consult a physician as soon as possible and start with antibiotics which are available only after prescription.Delayed treatment can lead to complications.

Till then, make your daughter wear loose-fitting cotton clothing and use an antibacterial soap or mild soap like dove. You can also apply topical antibiotic creams.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.