Underactive thyroid,synthroid,irregular period,PCOS,trying to conceive

I was diagnosed with an underactive thyroid so i take synthroid .05 and spirnolactone. I do get my periods every month but their irregular. How do i know the best time to get pregnant, and do you think i will have fertility problems?
My age is 29, im 115lbs. and my GYN put me on XXXXXXX for 10 years because she diagnosed me with PCOS. But my endocrinologist diagnosed me with underactive thyroid 6 months ago and I did stop the XXXXXXX when i started the synthroid.
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Getting Pregnant
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 1 hour later

Presence of conditions like hypothyroidism and PCOS are very common conditions that can cause irregular periods. Both these conditions if not treated can result in anovulatory cycles which can result in issues like infertility.

Hence you should check your thyroid status and confirm that the levels are normal. In addition a ultrasound scan should be done to check if the ovarian cysts have resolved.

Once both these conditions are successfully treated, your periods will be regular and the chances of a normal pregnancy will increase.

With respect to the current question - best time to get pregnant- the most fertile period during which pregnancy can be achieved is day 12 to day 16 of the cycle. This is considering that you have a 28 day regular cycle and with expected ovulation occuring on the 14th day of the cycle.

[ For your information, the first day of the bleeding would be the first day of the menstrual cycle. ]

In case you have a 34 day cycle, expected ovulation would occur on day 17 of the cycle, and hence the fertile period would be day 14 to day 20 of the cycle.

Sexual intercourse during this fertile period, mentioned above would help in achieving pregnancy.

In addition to this, since you have irregular cycles, it may be difficult to know the exact time of ovulation. Hence you can use ovulation detection kits, which detect the surge of Luteinising hormone in the blood, which occurs upto 24 hours before ovulation. Using such kits, you can know the expected time of ovulation and having intercourse around that time, can increase your chances of pregnancy.

I hope this answers your question effectively.

I will be available for follow up queries if any.

Dr. Anvekar.