Underactive thyroid, take blood pressure tablets, do not drink alcohol, gamma GT test done. What can be done?

Question
My gamma GT reading is 181, and I dont touch alcohol at all. I have an underactive thyroid and take blood pressure tablets. thank you
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Follow-up: Underactive thyroid, take blood pressure tablets, do not drink alcohol, gamma GT test done. What can be done? 6 minutes later
what can be done, and has my medication contributed the problem.

Can the next blood test show a difference. My next test is on 7th December.

Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 13 hours later

Thank you for the query.

I would like to know few more things which would help me in suggesting you better:

1.) Do you have family history of liver disease?
2.) Have you got other blood parameters tested?
3.) How long are you Hypertensive?
4.) Are you Diabetic?
5.) Are your lower limbs swollen?

Gamma GT is a enzyme which is raised not only by taking Medicines or alcohol but also by certain liver diseases. Since you don't take Alcohol, alcohol related liver disorders are ruled out. It is also seen in Bile duct obstruction but is has to be ruled out. The normal range is 0 to 51 IU/L, but it varies from lab to lab. The levels are also raised in aging women.

You can repeat the test after a month, if it still found elevated, you may require further evaluation to rule out if you have congestive heart failure.

Thyroid and Blood Pressure medications don't raise GGT.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available to answer your follow up queries. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wish you Good Health.

Take Care.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.

Follow-up: Underactive thyroid, take blood pressure tablets, do not drink alcohol, gamma GT test done. What can be done? 3 hours later
Thank you for your response. much appreciated.

In answer to your questions, The answer to Nos. 1 3 4 and 5 is NO
Answer to No 2, is yes, and they have come back as ok. Just the GGT is raised.

I have been taking quite a lot of painkillers for a very bad ear infection - both ears affected and in great pain. Can painkillers affect GGT. Paracetamol, codine, and thre was another (cant remember) but I was told it was quite strong.
Thank you

Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 13 minutes later

Thank you for writing back to me.

Repeated doses of Paracetamol increase GGT levels, but as I said earlier, other causes should also be ruled out.

You can repeat the test after a month and do not take Paracetamol or any other painkiller, until the test is done.

Good Luck.

Take Care.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.