Under weight. Need to gain weight. Suggestions?

I am under weight need diet chart to gain weight. I am 28 yrs male of height 173cm and weight 56kg. kindly recommend some
Posted Sun, 20 Oct 2013 in Weight
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX

Your Body Mass Index comes to be around 18.7 kg/m2. Normal range is 18.5 to 24.99. Thus your BMI is in normal range.

Still if you want to gain a few pounds than you can try to add some high calorie foods to your diet. High calorie foods can include milk products like butter, cheese, cream, ice cream, ghee, cakes, pastries, cookies, etc, Include one of these items in your meals. For example if you are having noodles in lunch then add cheese to it and warm it a little till it melts. This will make the same food higher in calories. If you like to have tea, then add cream to it rather then milk. Cow milk has just adequate calories - not high, not low. Some foods that are high in proteins are also good. High protein foods are soya milk, non-veg, eggs, cottage cheese, tofu, beans, nuts.

Take 3 proper meals and 3 - 4 snacks in a day. Also include fruits or vegetables in upto 5 meals/snacks. This will keep the fiber content high and make the meal more nutritious.

Exercise of upto 20 min a day should also help.

This should help you gain a few kilos.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr Vaishalee

Follow-up: Under weight. Need to gain weight. Suggestions? 34 minutes later
Can you tell if any medicine or diet supplement available in market which help me to gain little extra pound.
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hi again

Detailed Answer:
Hi again

In my experience, changing the diet is the best and natural way to increase weight. Among supplements you can add protinex or ensure to your diet. Do not go for the muscle building supplements. For muscle building too, exercise is the best way to go.

Dr Vaishalee