Under treatment for subluxing peroneal tendon. Is surgery necessary if I get pain free and tendon pops out?

I have a subluxing peroneal tendon which is currently being treated with a CAM boot question is...if I become pain free but the tendon is still popping out is it imperative that I still would need surgery so as to overcome the possibility of further tearing or rupture?
Posted Mon, 3 Jun 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Nirmala P 4 hours later
Thanks for asking in Healthcare Magic.

Peroneal muscle is a collection of several muscles in the lower leg. Peroneal reticulum, a connective tissue holds them properly in place. When the peroneal reticulum is damaged or torn, these muscles slip out of place and this is the reason for subluxation or dislocation.

Reccurrent subluxation destabilizes the ankle support and results in poor balance as ankle and leg are the main weight bearing areas. It also causes immense pain and failure of proper proprioception.

CAM boot devices are used for immobilization and protection of peroneus muscle. You should be on this for 4 to 6 weeks followed by physiotherapy with light ranging movements progressing to stretching exercises. Strengthening and balance exercises usually restores a near normal function (80 to 90%) of the ankle.

Operative treatment becomes necessary for peroneal subluxation, if there is frequent recurrence. After the removal of cast even if you are pain free but if your movements and balance are still restricted, then corrective surgery is the only option. But on the other hand, if you have near normal range of movements after physiotherapy, in which case, there might not be any popping up of your tendon, then you may not be needing surgery.

Since, sudden excessive turning of foot inwards causes repeated subluxation, try to avoid such movements in future. This movement is common when your foot direction changes suddenly especially on an uneven surface.

I hope this helps. Please address to me if you have any further concerns.