Under treatment for enlarged prostate. What does the value signify? How serious is the problem?

I am a male 65 years old. I am under treatment for enlarged prostate ( BAP )
Prostate: 4.5 x 4.6 x 5.2 cms about 59 grams Enlarged with varying parenchymal echoes. NOrmal Left Kidney. Blader wall thicked and trabeculated with diverticulam right base. Right Renal Calculas.
Uroflow Result recent:
Mximum Flow 7.5 ms/s
Mean Flow 3.1ml/s
Voiding time 60.4s
Flow time 60.5s
Voided Volume 187 ml

At present I am taking AFDURA . pRESCRIBED FOR 90 DAYS.

Posted Mon, 20 Aug 2012 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 1 hour later

Thanks for the question.
Enlarged prostate is common health issue at your age. Benign enlargement is not a very serious issue and it can be very well taken care of with help of medications or TURP. But the possibility of prostatic cancer should be ruled out.

In your case few things which can be suggested are -

1. Continue AFDURA for 90 days and then get your prostate gland re-evaluated.

2. If there is no improvement, then consider TURP ( transurethral resection of the prostate). That is minimally invasive operation to clear the passage of urine.

3. If symptoms worsen even with AFDURA, then consider TURP directly.

4. Since there are parenchymal echoes within prostate, it would be good idea to get PSA done to rule out possibility of prostatic cancer. Please discuss about this with your doctor.

Let me know if you have any more questions.