Under peritoneal dialysis and has cough. Prescribed fluticasone which caused swollen nose. What can be given?

Yes hello, my mom is currently a peritoneal dialysis patient but has had a bad cough and was prescribed fluticasone propionate but made her nose get swollen a little I did not want to continue giving her that due to her having nose surgery due to cancer, my question is what else can I give her?
Posted Sat, 14 Dec 2013 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Please, Fluticasone doesn't cause a swollen nose! Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this query. From the information you have provided, it is unlikely that fluticasone is the cause of this swollen nostril. It is actually a powerful anti inflammatory drug that can take care of conditions like swollen nostril. Stopping it may have only aggravated the swelling and not helping her. I will suggest that you reinstate fluticasone as it is not a cause of this problem but rather can offer help in this case. It would have a double advantage while any other cough suppressant would not be able to do both. There are many different causes of cough. It cough be related to drugs, asthma, infection, etc. She needs a careful examination before suggesting any new treatment that would be directed against the specific cause. I hope this helps. I wish you well and your mother the best of possible outcomes. Thank you for using our services and please feel free to ask for more information if need be. Thanks. Dr. Ditah, MD