Under mild steroids for polymyositis. Suggest best treatment

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
My mother is affected by polymyositis. She was under mild steroids for 5 days and they were weened. Suggest best treatment which will prepare her to walk again. Thanks a million.
Posted Wed, 31 Oct 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later

I understand your concern; however no single approach is best.

First step in treatment for polymyositis is to take a corticosteroid medication.
Corticosteroids work by suppressing immune system, limiting the production of antibodies and reducing muscle inflammation, as well as improving muscle strength and function.

If a corticosteroid medication doesn't seem to be working effectively or causing side effects, your mother can be switched to other medication like Corticosteroid-sparing agents (Azathioprine/ Methotrexate), Intravenous immunoglobulin (IVIG), Biological therapies (Rituximab, Tumor necrosis factor inhibitor) after consulting your doctor.

In addition consult a physical therapist who can show your mother exercises to maintain and improve the strength and flexibility and advise an appropriate level of activity. Physiotherapy and rehabilitation can bring her strength and make her walk again.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have any more concerns.

Wishing you good health...

Follow-up: Under mild steroids for polymyositis. Suggest best treatment 1 hour later
Thank you doctor. She is in the course of these medications only. And also physical therapy is going on. Meanwhile in the last two months no considerable improvement is seen. So we were thinking if she can parallely go through Ayurvedic treatments like massages and relaxation at some centre in Kerala. What do you suggest? Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 10 hours later

Thanks for posting your query again.

Simultaneously, she can go through Ayurvedic treatment like massage and relaxation. These might also be good for maintaining and improving the strength and flexibility.

I hope this answers your query. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion, rate the answer and give review.

Wishing her good health.